He is the President Elect for the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (2015) and was named by Governor Pat McCrory to the Governor’s Statewide Driving While Impaired Task Force (2015).
- Bill is a board Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy – National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- Founding Member, DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- General Member of the National College of DUI Defense, Inc.
- Attorney Powers has also been listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers magazine 2015
- Business North Carolina magazine, Legal Elite (2015)
“When people ask me, ‘why are you a good lawyer?’ my response is simple: Because I have compassion. I care for my clients and want to help them through tough times. Because of my background, because of my jobs, because of my education and because of experiences, because of everyone I have met, I can empathize with a lot of different types of people.”
- Top 10 Criminal Defense Lawyers in North Carolina – National Academy of Criminal Defense Lawyers 2015
- Criminal Law 10 Best – North Carolina – American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys
He adds, “Often times we see people when at their worst. They need to know I offer guidance without judgment. I’ll give them a straight answer, which sometimes hurts, but it’s always truthful. In the end though, they know I truly want to help.”
Bill is married to Ann “Sammie” Powers, “a local North Carolina girl.” She attended Meredith College in Raleigh. They have a 13 year old daughter, Sarah, who attends Charlotte Country Day School.
“Of all the places I’ve lived in or traveled to, North Carolina is my favorite. From the beach to the mountains, I fell for the scenery. Most of all, I love the people of North Carolina. As far as I’m concerned, there just is no better place to live.”
Bill is proud of his accomplishments in the legal profession. “My single greatest joy, at least professionally, was my certification as a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist. Yes, being named to SuperLawyers and Business North Carolina Legal Elite was nice; yet, I worked the hardest for that certification.”
If you would like to speak to Bill Powers or need legal advice, please call 704-342-4357 & 877-462-3841.
- Driving While Impaired DUI DWI
- Criminal Defense – Felonies & Misdemeanors
- Traffic Defense – Tickets, Citations, Infractions & Criminal Offenses
- Personal Injury -DUI DWI Impaired & Distracted Driving Litigation
- DMV Hearings -Revocation & License Restoration Issues, Ignition Interlock & Appeals
- Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy / National Board of Legal Specialty Certification
- North Carolina, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1994
- Campbell University School of Law –Juris Doctorate, Buies Creek, North Carolina, 1992
Honors: Book Award- “American Jurisprudence” and Academic Scholarship
- North Carolina State University Bachelor of Arts – Political Science
Honors: Cum Laude & “Scholars of the College”
- North Carolina State Bar
- Mecklenburg County County Bar
- Mecklenburg County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice – 2015 Vice President of Communications & Executive Committee
Past Employment Positions:
- Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office, Assistant Public Defender, 1992 – 1994
- Wake County District Attorney’s Office, Clerk, 1991 – 1992
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Bill Powers has been listed in 2015 SuperLawyers North Carolina Magazine. In calendar years 2012, 2013 & 2014, SuperLawyers further included Bill in the “Top 100” Lawyers in North Carolina. In 2013 Bill was listed as “Top 25 in Charlotte” by SuperLawyers North Carolina.
For Membership Information & Criterion for Inclusion to SuperLawyers North Carolina see: http://www.superlawyers.com/north-carolina/lawyer/Bill-Powers/ccf452c7-eeb6-4f0e-98e4-337804e043e8.html
Powers McCartan, pllc in 2015 has been again listed as a “Best Law Firm” by U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT. For Member Info & Criterion for Inclusion see: http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/profile/powers-mccartan-pllc/overview/44550
In 2015 Bill Powers has been included in Best Lawyers of America. For membership info & criterion for inclusion see: http://www.bestlawyers.com/lawyers/bill-powers/78562/
Bill Powers has also been listed in “Top 100 Criminal Defense Lawyers in North Carolina” by The National Trial Lawyers. For member info & criterion for inclusion see: http://www.thenationaltriallawyers.org/profile-view/Bill/Powers/5071/